Re: [Help-bash] Why won't set -v work?

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Why won't set -v work?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:24:48 -0400

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:00:40AM -0600, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> How would I turn set -v on for the first case within a case statement, and
> off for the rest? I tried everything I could think of and nothing works.

What is it that you think set -v actually does?  What's your goal in
using it?

As the man page says, -v only triggers when bash *reads* a command, not
when it executes a command.  It's not very useful if you're trying to
turn it on and off, because so many things get read way in advance of
when they're actually used, so by the time you know you want to turn
on -v, it's already too late.

99% of the time, set -x is more useful.