Re: [Help-bash] Weird error of bash "/bin/sh: line 1: `BASH_FUNC_f%%': n

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Weird error of bash "/bin/sh: line 1: `BASH_FUNC_f%%': not a valid identifier"
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 11:44:49 -0500

>> A script like main.sh used to work on my Mac OS X. But somehow it
>> stops working. Can anybody see what is wrong? Where is "BASH_FUNC_f%%"
>> defined?
>
>> /tmp$ export -f f
>
> This line injects BASH_FUNC_f%% into the environment.

How to refer to BASH_FUNC_f%% if I want to?

/tmp$ function f {
> :
> }

/tmp$  BASH_FUNC_f%%
bash: BASH_FUNC_f%%: command not found

>> /tmp$ ./main.sh
>
> You didn't show us the contents of main.sh.

Here are the contents.

/tmp$ cat /tmp/main.sh
#!/bin/sh

>> /bin/sh: line 1: `BASH_FUNC_f%%': not a valid identifier
>
> Your /bin/sh is buggy.  POSIX says that implementations should tolerate
> (that is, silently ignore or erase) invalid environment variable names
> that they do not understand, rather than loudly complain.  Since Mac OS
> is proprietary, I cannot help you fix your /bin/sh; but please raise a
> bug report to Apple to fix their /bin/sh.

But /bin/sh is essentially an earlier version of bash. Is there a
problem with this version of bash?

/tmp$ /bin/sh --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.51(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin13)

Regards,
Peng