Re: [Help-bash] get pid of exited process

From: Stas Sergeev
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] get pid of exited process
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 17:15:03 +0300

04.01.2016 16:19, Greg Wooledge пишет:
On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 08:10:38PM +0300, Stas Sergeev wrote:
Please note that the pids are not re-used, at least not so quickly.
OS will not assign the once-used pid to the new process, until all the
other possible pids are used too.
This is not true for all operating systems.  Some of them use random
numbers for PIDs.
Ah, who cares about non-linux OSes... :)
OK, kidding.

   The only time you can be sure a PID is what you think
it is, is when both of the following are true:

a) The PID is that of your direct child.
b) You have not yet called wait() for that PID to release it.

As suggested previously, if you want the PID of your child for some
logging purpose, you need to get it BEFORE the child exits.  Not after.
Not for logging.
As I explained in the same mail, I need it for cleanups:
if the program crashes, the script should remove the
stalled sockets/fifos that usually embed the pid in their
names. So in fact i need it after the process already died.
What other cleanup scheme would you suggest, that is
as simple as that?