Re: [Help-bash] (no subject)

From: DJ Mills
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 12:14:03 -0400

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 11:43 AM, John McKown <address@hidden>
wrote:

> My bad. I overlooked that. I was thinking that since I didn't do an
> "export IFS", that the variable only retained its value during the
> execution of that one line. On my system, I see:
>
> $ echo -n $IFS|od -tcx1
> 0000000
> $ IFS="-" : do nothing
> $ echo -n $IFS|od -tcx1
> 0000000
> $

It's different because in your example you're not actually running a
command, you're just doing two variable assignments (the command
substitution doesn't count).

Also setting IFS like that for a command won't affect the wordsplitting for
that command itself, just export the IFS value to the subprocess's
environment.

Regardless, it's a horrid, hacky way of doing it. Just quote your
expansions and be done with it