Re: [Help-bash] Fwd: Proper use of nohup within here-document?

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Fwd: Proper use of nohup within here-document?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:40:05 -0400

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 11:29:11AM -0700, Mun wrote:
> Within the here-document I'm essentially calling gxmessage thusly:
> $ nohup gxmessage -timeout 0 -file abc.txt > /dev/null 2>&1 &
>
> Any ideas on how I can allow the here-document to exit but allow the
> gxmessage process to live on?

I think you will need to show us this alleged "here-document".
Here-documents don't normally execute commands, and certainly not using
that syntax.

This is a here-document:

cat <<'xxx'
usage: myscript [-abqz] weight beauty

Specify weight in decapounds, and beauty in microhelens.
xxx

The only way you can normally execute a command during the reading of
a here-document would be with a command substitution, using an unquoted
here-document sentinel word.