[Help-bash] A string handling question please.

From: George R Goffe
Subject: [Help-bash] A string handling question please.
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 00:10:00 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I'm writing a function that will build a string based on the args passed to it
and ultimately be executed as a bash command or commands linked via pipes. I'm
a little confused and need some help please.

For example:

invoke doit() with args a b c d e: doit $a $b $c $d $e

generate command" xx=$(history | $a | $b | $c -z | $d | $e) and then execute
$xx.

The history command produces nothing. Bash or maybe me is confused about what's
happening vs what I want to happen.

Any hints/tips/suggestions/clues are welcome.

Regards,

George...