Re: reset key bindings

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: reset key bindings
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 16:06:53 -0500

On 1/1/20 3:05 PM, Andrey Butirsky wrote:

>> If you want some kind of `undo' for bindings, then it would seem reasonable
>> to save the current set of bindings output by `bind -p' (possibly also
>> specifying a keymap) to a file, edit it to the form you want, then use
>> `bind -f' to restore that set of key bindings from the file if you want to
>> roll back from an experiment.
>>
> For that, user had to know beforehand that no straightforward way of
> resetting it exists.
>
> So I think it should be documented that way, or in-built facilities to
> reset provided.

What? It's literally impossible to document all the things readline *can't*
do. So maybe assume that if it's not documented, it's not available.

If you want something internal to do it, maybe start by specifying the
behavior in some kind of detailed way. That way, we would have something
to discuss and determine whether it would be useful enough to implement.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/