Re: Suppress a "No such file” message when using the ls command

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: Suppress a "No such file” message when using the ls command
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 16:52:35 -0400

On 3/30/20 2:22 PM, Richard Taubo wrote:

> Like I said, was thinking about going with the following in bash as that
> worked:
> my_last_file=$(/bin/ls -t *.pdf  2> /dev/null)

The basic rule of thumb is to attach the redirection to the command whose
output you want to redirect (or suppress, as it were). That will keep you
from having to remember that a simple command's word expansions are
performed before any redirections (as posix allows when there are no words
after expanding the words that are not assignments or redirections).

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    address@hidden    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/