Extended pattern matching operators and the =~ operator

From: M. Nejat AYDIN
Subject: Extended pattern matching operators and the =~ operator
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 05:01:49 +0300

An example given in the Bash Reference Manual, section 3.2.4.2
Conditional Constructs, seems to imply that extended pattern matching
operators can be used in the string to the right of the '=~' operator,
which is suspicious to me. Quoting from the manual:

  For example, the following will match a line (stored in the shell
  variable line) if there is a sequence of characters in the value
  consisting of any number, including zero, of space characters, zero or
  one instances of ‘a’, then a ‘b’:
    [[ $line =~ [[:space:]]*?(a)b ]]
  That means values like ‘aab’ and ‘ aaaaaab’ will match, as will a line
  containing a ‘b’ anywhere in its value.

Please notice the use of "?(a)" extended pattern matching expression.
Is it an error in the manual, or did I overlook something?