Re: How to understand bash vulnerability?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: How to understand bash vulnerability?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 22:11:32 -0600

> https://securityintelligence.com/articles/shellshock-vulnerability-in-depth/

Is 'env' at the beginning of the three commands necessarily? It seems
that if I remove 'env', "Bash is Infected" can still be printed on a
vulnerable bash session. So 'env' is not necessary?

I don't understand why an environment variable can be interpreted by
bash as source code. It seems to me it should be always treated as
plain text. Could anybody explain why this vulnerability was
introduced in the first place? Thanks.

--
Regards,
Peng