Re: extglob and ()/{}

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: extglob and ()/{}
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 21:39:24 -0400

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 10:23:53PM -0300, Marco Ippolito wrote:
> Greg said it all:
>
> > extglob changes the way certain characters are parsed. It is necessary to
> > have a newline (not just a semicolon) between shopt -s extglob and any
> > subsequent commands to use it. You cannot enable extended globs inside a
> > group command that uses them, because the entire block is parsed before the
> > shopt is evaluated. Note that the typical function body is a group command.
> > An unpleasant workaround could be to use a subshell command list as the
> > function body.

For the record, I didn't write this paragraph, but it's a pretty
good one.

The current wording was finalized by "atlantic480" (I do not know
who that is):

https://mywiki.wooledge.org/glob?action=diff&rev2=35&rev1=34

Previous work on that paragraph was done by NeilMoore:

https://mywiki.wooledge.org/glob?action=diff&rev2=11&rev1=10

Along with various tweaks in between that I didn't take the time to
track down.  The wiki is very much a group effort.