Re: Changing the way bash expands associative array subscripts

From: Eli Schwartz
Subject: Re: Changing the way bash expands associative array subscripts
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 17:18:12 -0400

On 4/6/21 4:29 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 03:24:54PM -0500, Dennis Williamson wrote:
>> Python 3.7 has insertion-order dictionaries. So these are dependable
>> gerbils.
>
> That explains my test results, which I didn't post.  I had been told
> in the past that python's dictionaries did NOT remember insertion
> order, but I'm not fluent in python and I don't keep up with its changes.

python, in general, has collections.OrderedDict, which is not some
boring old dict but a special magic dict that does extra bookkeeping to
remember insertion order.

The default dict() in python 3.7 incorporates some, but not all, of the
OrderedDict guarantees. For example, a boring dict() passes equality
checks when compared to a dict with the same contents but different
insertion order, while an OrderedDict does not pass equality checks.

So, the gerbils do different things depending on which side of the box
you open first. But they sometimes answer specific questions dependably.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User