Re: Appending a string

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: Appending a string
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 07:39:51 -0400

On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 10:20:54AM +0200, michael-franzese@gmx.com wrote:
> Have coded a function that takes a string as argument, and returns another
> string.
> Then I need to append another string.
>
> Have done as follows, but worry that how I use " could mess things up.
>
> fmt="$(clfmt "su--oe")${rc}"

What you've got here is 100% correct.  You could simplify it by removing
the curly braces and all of the quotes, but it's fine as is.

Breaking it down:

$rc and ${rc} are equivalent when there is no text following the rc
that could be mistaken for a continuation of the variable name.

No quotes are necessary around the string su--oe because it doesn't
contain any shell metacharacters.

No quotes are necessary around the right hand side of an assignment in
the absence of whitespace, assuming you want substitutions to occur.