Issue declaring an array via a variable name

From: Hunter Wittenborn
Subject: Issue declaring an array via a variable name
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 16:53:38 -0500

Hi!

I wasn't sure if this was a bug (though it seemed quite likely for me), so I
went ahead and decided to post the issue here before resorting over to the bug
mailing list.

Anyway - For some reason, the following code keeps failing whenever I run it:

"

variable="hello"

declare -g "${variable}"=("world" "me")

"

When run, it's complaining about a syntax error near "(", appearing to be on
the 'declare' line right next to where I start typing the array.

In my testing, all of the following would fail:

- declare -g "${variable}"=("world" "me")

- declare -g ${variable}=("world" "me")

- declare -g "hello"=("world" "me")

The only one that did work was the following:

- declare -g hello=("world" "me")

Is there a valid reason why this isn't working (besides it just being a bug)?
If there is, is it possible to implement it otherwise so I can use it?

---

Hunter Wittenborn

https://www.hunterwittenborn.com

https://github.com/hwittenborn