Reading Javascript-heavy webpages from the command line

From: Julius Hamilton
Subject: Reading Javascript-heavy webpages from the command line
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 21:13:57 +0200

Hey,

I am trying to do as much as possible from the command line.

One of the biggest limitations I have found so far are JavaScript-heavy
webpages which can not render in text-based browsers like Lynx or w3m,
either because their settings can detect the browser requesting access to
the page and don't allow it, or more usually just because those text-based
browsers just can't render that kind of content.

I am considering learning Selenium to be able to render text versions of
those kinds of web pages, i.e., retrieve needed text information from them,
as well as to be able to interact with them from the command line.

Is this the most standard, direct and effective way to try to use and
interact with JavaScript-heavy webpages from the command line or is there
an easier way I do not know of, for example, a command-line browser that
someone has already written for such purposes, or maybe some way to
manually render the JavaScript myself and extract the text, sort of like
building scripts that act partially as a web browser themselves?

Thanks very much,
Julius