Bash Shell Parameter Expansion

From: tolugboji
Subject: Bash Shell Parameter Expansion
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 23:25:34 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Saturday, October 9th, 2021 at 11:09 PM, Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev
<fxmbsw7@gmail.com> wrote:

> you may be not reading the man bash to your version ?

I am reading from the site which should be the latest descriptions
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Shell-Parameter-Expansion.html

> a means b
>
> -   means str appears when var is unset ( never used yet )
>
> -   means str appears when var is set already
>
>     :- means str if unset or empty
>
>     :+ str if set or empty
>
>     .. hmm im not sure atm..

Reading more carefully, the omitting the colon case is described.  There is a
lot
one can do with parameter expansion.

Have seen that fontify=${st:+"no"} results in an empty value for fontify (when
st is unset),
even when fontify was previously assigned.