Re: Parsing options in the form "-C8"

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: Parsing options in the form "-C8"
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 14:51:12 -0500

On 11/16/21 2:43 PM, irenezerafa wrote:
> [...]

OK, this is a good example. I'm going to take one shot here at an
explanation of why you don't get the help you feel you should. Then I'm
out.

First, adding requirements as people give you solutions, thereby changing
the problem space, doesn't encourage people to help you. Why should they
solve the problem as you've described it, only to have you move the
goalposts? Fully describe the problem and all of its requirements, up
front.

Second, folks on this list like to see some evidence that you've actually
tried to solve the problem yourself. Maybe post some code you've written
that attempts to do that (but be prepared for criticism). Without posting
your code attempts, the impression is that you'd like to be spoon-fed the
answer.

Nobody on this list is being paid to be here. You're not entitled to
anything in particular.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/