"cdspell" enabled by default on interactive shell?

From: Jin Xiang
Subject: "cdspell" enabled by default on interactive shell?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 09:04:45 -0500

The Bash Reference Manual claims that "cdspell" is enabled by default in an
interactive shell:
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#Interactive-Shell-Behavior

Quote (item #20): "Simple spelling correction for directory arguments to
the cd builtin is enabled by default (see the description of the cdspell option
to the shopt builtin in The Shopt Builtin
<https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#The-Shopt-Builtin>)."

But this option is always off when I launch a new bash in interactive mode.
(It's not turned off by any of my bash config files.) Can anybody tell me
why? Thanks!