Re: any plans for command substitution that preserves trailing newlines?

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: any plans for command substitution that preserves trailing newlines?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:53:49 -0500

On 1/26/22 12:25 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:

> Back to old state,... none of the other vars were changed.
>
> So if I just touch LC_ALL, why do I "have to make sure you save and
> restore **all** the locale variables"?

I suppose you can get away without doing it, as long as you pay attention
to which of those variables are exported (and so affect other processes'
locale state) and which are not and affect only the shell, and make sure
that the internal and external state is consistent before and after you
do your thing. Bash will reset the state properly for you, but you don't
know what other implementations will do.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/