Re: native nice command

From: Andy Chu
Subject: Re: native nice command
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 11:51:56 -0500

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 7:47 AM Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Normally nice is an external program. Is it possible to make it a
> builtin, so that when a bash function is called, any external commands
> called by the function will be niced? If a function is called to run
> in the background, that background bash process is also niced? Thanks.

You can invoke nice on shell recursively, so It doesn't need to be a
builtin.  (A nice values are inherited.)  Here's the analogous issue with
xargs invoking shell functions:

http://www.oilshell.org/blog/2021/08/xargs.html#xargs-can-invoke-shell-functions-with-the-0-dispatch-pattern

Sample code:

https://github.com/oilshell/blog-code/tree/master/xargs

This is also useful with sudo invoking a shell function, etc.  Often I have
a function calls _mywork and then define

mywork() { sudo $0 _mywork "$@"; }

Andy