Makefile for my loadable builtin

From: Robert E. Griffith
Subject: Makefile for my loadable builtin
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 09:44:05 -0400

I want to make a .deb package targeting Ubuntu that contains a new loadable builtin that I wrote. I would like to make a package that can be built for any architecture that Ubuntu supports.

Should I just copy and modify <bashSource>examples/loadable/Makefile.inc ?  (This makefile has a comment saying its intended for development of new builtins).

Since Makefile.inc is derived from Makefile.inc.in, should I be concerned that it could configure differently when built for another architecture so the one I copy might not work for other architectures? I dont think that I should make a configure.ac for my package because the builtin needs to be built to whatever bash's configure created, right?  The bash-builtin package in ubuntu's repo installs the headers including config.h that I compile my builtin against.

Despite its name, I think its meant to be copied and modified because it has an "all" target that builds a non-existent "example.c" builtin so it does not really work to be included.

If I could have included that Makefile.inc, I think a good solution would be to just include /usr/lib/bash/Makefile.inc from the  "bash-builtin" package which seems like it would always be configured correctly for the host machine my package is being built on.

I am thinking of writing a script that copies and modifies /usr/lib/bash/Makefile.inc but that seems kind of hokey so I thought I would check to see if there is a better way.

--BobG