Re: why are pipeline commands (allowed to be) executed in subshells?

From: Philippe Cerfon
Subject: Re: why are pipeline commands (allowed to be) executed in subshells?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 23:02:55 +0100

Hey folks.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 9:48 PM Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> When you press Ctrl-C (or whatever key stty intr is bound to) in
> a terminal, the terminal driver sends SIGINT to *all* PIDs in the
> terminal's foreground process group.

Ah, I see. That explains in principle already everything, well at
least for the case without ssh.

But thanks anyway for your following elaborate description of what
happens - with the above information it's what I'd have assumed
happens.

> You've already observed that the behavior changes depending on whether
> you've forced ssh to allocate a pseudoterminal.  That's a pretty strong
> hint about the direction you should search for answers.

I guess one can quite easily assume that with a TTY it will do just
the same things, especially since it must do so when running
interactively in order to get the usual behaviour.

Thanks! Was a big help in understanding why things happen as they do.

Philippe