Re: type -aP: intentional behaviour or a bug?

From: Adam Vodopjan
Subject: Re: type -aP: intentional behaviour or a bug?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 03:17:44 +0200

On 19/12/2022 18:17, Chet Ramey wrote:
> On 12/16/22 7:33 PM, Adam Vodopjan wrote:
>

>> Bash man page: 'If a command is hashed, -p and -P print the hashed value',
>> but it says later: 'The table of hashed commands is not consulted when
>> using -a'.
>
> Right, unless -P is supplied to force it.
>
>> It looks like a 20 yo bug, or a problem with docs. '-a' states for
>> 'everything', not for 'everything, if only it is not hashed yet in case of
>> -P. But with -p it is everything indeed'.
>
> Then let's see if we can rationalize the behavior. They have to differ,
> otherwise there's no reason to have both.

As per type.def, -p vs -P is CDESC_FORCE_PATH flag. With it enabled:

1) alias, keyword, function and builtin blocks are bypassed
2) hash search is still performed with -a

If we drop the latter, so both -pa and -Pa skip hash, there is still
the former. Did you take into account -p is affected by existing
aliases, keywords, functions and builtins?

In the following:

group_A = alias, keyword, function, builtin
group_B = absolute path, hash entry, $PATH

-p outcomes:

1) exit code=0, nothing printed = found in group_A, group_B is not
even tried

2) exit code=0, something printed = not found in group_A, but found in
group_B

3) exit code=1, nothing printed = not found in both groups

-P is not aware of group_A. There are two outcomes:

1) exit code=0, something printed = found in group_B

2) exit code=1, nothing printed = not found in group_B

There are differences with -a as well.

-pa outcomes:

1) exit code=0, nothing printed = found in group_A, not found in
group_B

2) exit code=0, something printed = found in group_B, group_A doesnt
affect the result

3) exit code=1, nothing printed = not found in both groups

-Pa outcomes:

1) exit code=0, something printed = found in group_B

2) exit code=1, nothing printed = not found in group_B

I think the only thing to change is dropping the CDESC_FORCE_PATH
condition from the hash block. So that it is never entered with -a.