Re: Bison generating C++

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Bison generating C++
Date: 19 Oct 2000 10:38:31 +0200

>>>>> "Hans" == Hans Aberg <address@hidden> writes:

Hans> I have a suggest for Bison generating C++, namely to add an
Hans> option that cause it to write a file with a C++ ending, default
Hans> say ".cc" instead of ".c". For now, it would do nothing else,
Hans> but later one could first change to C++ standard headers using
Hans> namespaces, and even further down the road, more C++ support.

Hi Hans,

There is something I think I should clarify about Bison.  There will
be essentially no new feature before 1.29 is released.

There is still a lot of dirty work to do, and by experience I know we
have to put a hard limit.  We won't work on issuing C++, nor even
*think* about it because that means having long threads to debate this
and that etc.  We don't have time now, let's save these threads for
when we will really address these issues.

Currently I'm concerned with %raw being broken (but, again, what is
the point of this option?  Is there anyone using it?), with cleaning
up the responsibilities between the skeletons and the executables, the
temporary files that we might now keep in memory etc.  The
documentation needs to be updated for locations too.  The test suite
needs more tests.

1.28 is a broken release, because of the gettext it includes.  People
need a decent release of Bison.

*Then*, we'll face the future :)

        Akim