Re: Questions about error recovery and more

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Questions about error recovery and more
Date: 16 Mar 2001 11:49:46 +0100

| 1) Can I use a rule of the form:
|     declaration:    "var"  error  declarlist  ';'  error
| (with a suitable action for the error)? My intention is to be able
| to locate the error as soon as it has occured.

It is probably possible, although it doesn't make sense to me.  The
error rules are triggered when a parse is found.  Then, basically, the
parser will pop all the symbols on the lhs of the `error' token, then
shift as long as it does not recognize the error rule.

That's roughly what happens, but in the details, I don't know.

Anyway, it seems to me that your rule is trying to catch parse errors
out of its own scope: the trailing `error' should probably not be
there.  In addition, you are suggested to put `error' tokens at places
where it is followed by a token, to assist the parser recognizing a
sync point.

| 2) I do not see how bison.simple and bison.hairy are involved. Are
| they only meant to be used when building bison from src? And if not,
| where can I find documentaion about using bison.hairy?

Nowhere, and it is unclear whether this feature will live again some day.

| 3) Are there places from which I can download a bison.exe for Windows 95?

The web :)