Re: flex bison

From: David Durham
Subject: Re: flex bison
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:41:34 -0500

- I would suggest reading the manuals for flex and bison for a REAL
understanding of how things should work... I don't mean to give you the
run around... I just want to encourage you to do the best thing for
yourself.  I did it, and don't regret spending those 3 or 4 hours in the
manuals doing the examples and now being quite proficient in flex and
bison as I'm sure any decent programmer could also do.

http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html

- Also, the example input could really be parsed with flex alone...
Basically, because there is no nestability (with infinite depth) in your
input format.  This is a general rule for regular expressions (flex
parses these) verses a context free grammer (bison parses these, but it
is generally used in tandem with flex to do the work)

- However, unless this input format is going to get more complicated, it
would be much more efficient and easy for you to use the strtok function
in the C library.  Read the man page for strtok completely first as it
has a perhaps unexpected but necessary behavior... (or use strtok_r to
avoid this behavior)

-- Davy