Re: Defining %Start in Bison

From: David Durham
Subject: Re: Defining %Start in Bison
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:24:36 -0500

On Thu, 2001-10-18 at 08:02, ROLAND wrote:
> I'm using a YACC-source, which I want to getthrough
> BISON.
> It has a "%Start passone, passtwo" in it and YACC does
> not complain about this.
> Now I tried it with BISON, and it tells me there is an
> error in this line.
> What can I do about it?

As far as I know there can only be one start rule...
Just remove the one that you don't mean to be the start rule... yacc was
probably just ignoring one of them.

If you're not sure, remove one, see if it works (I mean works at
run-time),if it doesn't remove the other, and then see if it works...
then if not, there's probably some difference between yacc and bison
that going to have to be worked around (but this shouldn't be the case)

I would imaging that yacc has a bug in that when it is parsing
"%blahblah anything"  it allows the anything to be a comma separated
list as many of the other %directives can have.  They probably just
didn't complain about the %start directive having more than one item in
the following list.

-- Davy