Re: Question about error recovery

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Question about error recovery
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:47:31 +0200

At 00:21 +0200 2002/07/01, Yechiel Caesar wrote:
>I need some examples of using sophisticated error recovery with Bison
>(something showing meaningful error reporting and which shows a complex
>example).
>The Bison documentation on this issue is very cryptic.

Please note that Bison error handling/recovery is unsophisticated and
cryptic :-), which has to do the LALR(1) algorithm it uses. The latter has
a table compression part which may cause the parser to perform some extra
reductions before an error is detected.

Thus, you do not have full logical control over what is going to happen
with errors & recovery, but you will have to use the trial & fail/succeed
method with respect to your particular program.