generic expression evaluation

From: Karthikeyan Ramnath
Subject: generic expression evaluation
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:21:01 -0400

Hello,
I am pretty new to Lex and Yacc, two days to be precise.
Earlier I was faced with the problem of evaluating a logical
expression, like
((A < 10) & (A > 2)) & (NOT(B==3))
I had implemented a rather simple parser and used a tree to
evaluate this expression. But now the thing is that the fields,
A,B,C etc.. are configurable, as is the entire expression. Each
field is an object in C++ with specific datatype binding.
Faced with this problem, I was told to look into Lex and Yacc
for implementing a generic solution. But my lack of expertise
is posing a serious problem.
Could you kindly help me out? What do i read up? Where can i
find more useful information to get the job done quickly?
Thanks a lot.
Karthikeyan.R

The will to do, the soul to dare

Get your own "800" number