bison as a library?

From: Brian
Subject: bison as a library?
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:40:07 -0800 (PST)

hi,

is there any way to use bison as a library?  I want to be able to call
bison functions to define a grammar, and then call a bison function
equivalent to yyparse to parse an input (passing it appropriate callbacks
for yylex and such).  It seems the parser could be compiled right into
bison, and one could put the parse table information into a
dynamically-created struct, rather than as globals.  I did a similar thing
with berkeley yacc (http://staff.washington.edu/sabbey/pyacc/index.html),
but now I want to use bison.

so, is there a way to use bison as a library that I am not aware of?  If
not, would such a change to bison be accepted by the official
distribution?  Would such a change be overly difficult or messy to
implement?

thanks,
Brian