GNU bison 1.875 on HPUX-11.11 not generating parser source files

From: Fraley, Glenn (N-D. N. American)
Subject: GNU bison 1.875 on HPUX-11.11 not generating parser source files
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:44:50 -0500

I am experiencing a problem with bison 1.875 on HPUX-11.11 not generating
parser source files.  I've tried various flags to bison and found that the
application does run and does generate verbose output (-v) and graph (-g)
files, but never creates the base .c source file or headers (-d).  This happens
for all files I attempt to parse.  The input file(s) are all ones that do
generate valid source using Bison 1.35 under HPUX-11.0.  I have also written
very simple .y files for testing that do generate [useless] source files using
Bison 1.35 on HPUX-11.0 but do not with Bison 1.875 on HPUX-11.11.

I have debugged the bison executable using wdb and saw that a SIGPIPE occurred
down in the /usr/lib/lib2.c (sp?) library when executing an fprintf from within
bison.  However, since I have the binary distribution that does not link in
debug information and do not have the bison source I do not know where in the
application this call was made.  One option I may try is to download the full
bison source, rebuild it according to the installation instructions, and then
debug the problem (if it remains).  I am a little weary of getting this process
right given the warnings in the documentation, so I'll try that only if need be.

Bison has been installed from the binary distribution via swinstall so I am not
subject to the warnings in the documentation about the order of install (gmake,
m4, bison), I think.  The download came from the HPUX download site
hpux.cs.utah.edu, so it may or may not be identical to the downloads on the GNU
web site.  I have no idea what changes were made to port Bison to HPUX or if
the problem is due to the port or exists in the base GNU version.  Of course
the problem may not be with the bison product in the first place, but I have
not yet found anything with the installation or configuration of bison that
explains this.

If this sounds like any known problem, or you have further troubleshooting tips
or techniques, please send them to me.  I am especially interrested in details
about system or user environment settings (PATH or other environment variables)
that might affect the operation of Bison.  I am probably going to pursue
uninstalling Bison 1.875 and either reinstalling it or reverting to Bison 1.35
on HPUX-11.11 to see if the problem follows the OS upgrade or the Bison
upgrade.....

Glenn Fraley
Software Engineer
D.N. American, Inc.