Re: Problems with multithreading and slow compilation

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: Problems with multithreading and slow compilation
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 19:22:26 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Hans Aberg wrote:

> At 01:41 +0200 2004/07/07, Laurence Finston wrote:
> >I'm also having problems with having to wait a long time while the
> >C++ file generated by Bison compiles.
>
> What C++ file are you speaking about: The C one compiled as C++, the one
> that comes with the distribution, the one I wrote, or someone else.

The one generated by running Bison on the Bison input file.  Of
course, it's only a C++ file by virtue of the C++ code in the actions.

> >  I've been meaning to try to put
> >more code for the actions into functions to see if this will help,
> >but since the return values of the functions must be tested in the rules,
> >it makes things more complicated and interferes with hacking.
>
> I am not sure what you mean here: Under C++, I try to put as much action
> code as possible into functions. As long as you do not change the header
> files of the functions and classes you call, the parser unit need only know
> these prototypes.

I have to test whether the function succeeded or not and decide what to
do in each case.   However, I'm convinced that this is the way to go.
I've just got a huge number of actions for which I'm going to have to
write functions.

> It sounds as though you have put too much code into the actions. As an
> alternative, get hold of a faster computer. :-)

But I like the ENIAC!

Laurence