Re: Bison COPYING confusion

From: Talin
Subject: Re: Bison COPYING confusion
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:12:02 -0700

Unfortunately, having the licensing terms appear only in the program output places a signficant barrier to a legal analysis of the licensing terms.

The way my company's evaluation process works is that I can't simply compile bison myself, generate the output file, and email a copy of it to our lawyer. Generally what the legal department wants is a URL so that they can examine the provenance of the information as well as its content. (To a lawyer, documents are not "context-free" - two documents that are byte-for-byte identical, but come from two different sources are effectively two different documents.)

While I am certainly gratified that our lawyers have enough technical savvy to be able to download a source archive, unpack it, and ready the COPYING file themselves, I don't expect them to be able to successfully configure, compile, and run the program (especially given that they probably don't even have a compiler installed on their Window XP boxes.)