Re: can we generate a C++ parser with Bison?

From: Derek M Jones
Subject: Re: can we generate a C++ parser with Bison?
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:58:33 +0100

Sheng,

>Since Bison 2.0 can generate GLR parser, can we use this feature to
>get a C++ parser that can correctly parse C++ programs that
>conform to the ISO standard?

I take it you mean parse C++ programs without having to perform
any semantic analysis or building a symbol table.

The answer is no.

Consider the translation unit:

#include "necessary_stuff.h"

void f(void)
{
g(i); /* does this call the function g or define the object i to have type g? */
}

derek

--
Derek M Jones                                     tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                         mailto:address@hidden