Re: redundant merges for GLR

From: Joel E. Denny
Subject: Re: redundant merges for GLR
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:09:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Joel E. Denny wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Joel E. Denny wrote:
>
> > I am attempting to use bison's %glr-parser and %merge to construct parse
> > forests.  I'm getting duplicate representations of some trees within the
> > forest.  Both bison 1.875 and 2.0 give the same results.

I haven't seen any response to my posts last month on problems I'm having
with bison GLR:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bison/2005-07/msg00013.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bison/2005-07/msg00040.html
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bison/2005-07/msg00017.html

Were my explanations unclear?  Am I correct that this is unintended
behavior?  Should I post these to bug-bison instead?

I need these problems resolved for my work, so I may start exploring
bison's source myself.  However, I don't want to waste my time moving in
that direction if (1) these are not legitimate bison bugs and I'm just
misunderstanding what bison GLR is intended to do or (2) someone else is
already working on these problems.

In any case, I would very much appreciate any hints you can give me.

Thanks.

Joel