Re: %destructor feedback

From: Joel E. Denny
Subject: Re: %destructor feedback
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:32:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Joel E. Denny wrote:

For bison, I believe the order of importance on this cleanup issue goes like
this:

1. document cleanup behavior in the manual
2. make cleanup behavior consistent across YYABORT/YYERROR and all skeletons
(I guess this means _no_ auto cleanup)
3. offer more cleanup flexibility (macros)

I agree.

I believe you and I are in agreement on how the first 2 points should be resolved. Would one of the veteran bison developers like to offer words of wisdom?

Paul, I just looked through the ChangeLog. I believe you committed the patch that made YYABORT and YYACCEPT invoke RHS destructors.

In this thread, I've pointed out several reasons why I think this is undesirable behavior. At the very least, it's inconsistent with glr.c.

What do you think about our proposed alternatives?

Joel