Re: Help using bison

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: Help using bison
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:10:22 -0500

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 05:22:29PM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Bob Rossi wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I'm writing a GPL'd ncurses front end to GDB, called CGDB.
>
> Did you know gdb already has a curses frontend?
>
> gdb -tui

Yeah, I do. I have several motivations for the project that
I've been working on.

- The TUI is built into GDB, which binds it to versions of GDB that it has
been in. I use CGDB with very old versions of GDB that support ADA that
come from GNAT.

- I think it's unreasonable to add the TUI front end to GDB, since it
adds code bloat, and is more difficult to change, considering you have
to modify GDB, instead of just a front end. When internal data
structures change, the TUI is effected, wasting more of the developers
time.

- There are many features you can add to CGDB, that would be
controversial to add to the TUI. For instance, I already have syntax
highlighting for C/C++/ADA.

- If the TUI has a bug, oops, now you have to update GDB. This seems
unreasonable, especially since it's just the front end. A lot of users
aren't allowed to update there GDB version for reasons like this.

Anyways, any help on the original problem would be greatly appreciated!
There has been a small amount of interest in the parser from other
groups, so any help you offer in this area will be come back several
fold.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi