Help needed regarding a very simple parser

From: Zulfiqar Malik
Subject: Help needed regarding a very simple parser
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:13:19 +0500

Hi,

I was developing a simple parser for the LUA scripting language. The
rules of the language is already documented in a shift-reduce style
with quite good compatibility with bison's syntax. However, i get
strage errors when i try to put that grammar rules in the bison rules
section. Like it stating that majority of rules are useless.
Even for a set of very simple rules (for testing purposes) like the following

chunk
    : stat
    ;
stat
    : KW_IF KW_THEN KW_END
    ;

I get this error "expected 5 shift/reduce conflicts".
Note: The tokens have been defined.
I can't seem to figure out where the problem lies. I have used small
example code from various other sources all giving me the same error
(except for this relatively larger sample that comes with visual
studio which defines grammar of a very small sub-set of C). I am using
bison's win32 port and i assume that there is nothing wrong with the
port.
Can someone help me out here? Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,
Zulfiqar Inayat Malik.