Re: Old generated parser code not working on recent system (Fedora Core

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Old generated parser code not working on recent system (Fedora Core 5)
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 23:40:33 +0100

On 2 Feb 2007, at 22:25, Christian Kreibich wrote:

I'm having a bison-related problem that I'm hoping you can shed some
light on. I co-maintain a software package that ships bison-generated
parser code alongside the .y file, for setups that don't have bison
installed.  The problem we're seeing is that on some recent platforms
(Fedora Core 5, for example) the generated parser code is always
failing. Removing the generated code and regenerating it with the local
bison (2.1, in the FC5 case) fixes the problem. In the particular
release in question, the shipped parser code was generated with a rather
old bison (1.75).

Since the diff between the generated parsers is 1500+ lines, it's not
trivial to pinpoint what might be causing the problem. Do you have any
idea why oldish bison output might start to fail on recent platforms?

The basic principle is that folks don't remember those old Bison versions, or what they might generate. :-) Formally, only the latest version is supported. In practice, it means that there have been a lot of development and bug-fixing taking place.