Re: Conflicts in large grammar

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: Conflicts in large grammar
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 14:20:12 +0200 (CEST)

I've now determined that using a more recent version of Bison helps.  I
was using 1.875.  I added a rule that caused Bison to abort and then tried
it with 2.1, which succeeded.  I ran both versions using input that didn't
cause 1.875 to fail and the number of shift/reduce conflicts differed.

I've now installed Bison 2.3 and it works.  I will still try to get rid of
unnecessary rules, though.  I'll also try to reduce or eliminate the s/r
conflicts, when I find the time.

It would be nice to know exactly what makes Bison abort.  I suspect it has
to do with the states, but I wasn't able to understand why it would fail
in some cases and not in others.

Thanks again for the help.

Laurence