Re: Lisp parser skeleton for bison proof of concept working - update.

From: Tim Josling
Subject: Re: Lisp parser skeleton for bison proof of concept working - update.
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 09:54:12 +1100

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 06:36 +1100, Tim Josling wrote:
> Thanks. I'll probably post to the lisp group too.
>
> I'm going to do a POC today on the table generation option, to see how
> that looks.
>
> Tim Josling

I have done a POC on the bison tables approach for using bison with
lisp.

See http://cobolforgcc.cvs.sourceforge.net/cobolforgcc/gcc/gcc/gcb/

In particular the files

bison-parser-driver.lisp - parser driver.
bison-parser-helpers.lisp - some helper macros for writing actions.
bison-tablegen-skel-v2.3.m4 - V2.3 skeleton.
bison-tablegen-skel-v2.3a.m4 - V2.3a skeleton.
bison_fake_m4_tablegen.x - Fae m4 script to fix up the file names.
calc-common1.lisp - part of calc application
calc-common2.lisp - part of calc application
calc-lisp-parser-tablegen.lispy - grammar definition
Makefile

The makefile implements the flow
Bison grammar -> C program -> Lisp program. The C program incorporates

The C program has access to the bison tables and generates the lisp code
from that. It would be readily adapted to produce code for any desired
language. The main work would be updating the parser driver to the new
language. Currently the grammar and the C code to extract the bison
tables are in the same file, but I will move the C code to a separate
include file.

I think this is the approach I will use, because it involves the least
(zero!) impact on the internals of bison.

Tim Josling