Re: How to write the BNF

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: How to write the BNF
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:42:26 +0100

On 11 Mar 2008, at 14:28, Sharan Basappa wrote:

Thanks. On the last part, I believe the keywords would also be
generally categorized as tokens/terminals.
Suppose I have come up with a new language and want to give a formal
explanation to it.
For items like if, else, main I categorize them as keywords and then I
categorize
if, else, main, {, } as terminal tokens. Do you think this is a good
way of explaining the
language

You may try places like the Usenet newsgroup comp.compilers (and some others) for question like this.

I think that "keywords" refer to tokens hardwired into the language, and often they do not change meaning by context.