Re: filebench: bison generated parser + CDDL

From: Evan Lavelle
Subject: Re: filebench: bison generated parser + CDDL
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:35:53 +0100

You'll never get an answer from the FSF on licensing; they'll just send you a form mail asking you for money. So, don't bother asking.

You have to ask yourself two questions:

1 - Is filebench a parser generator? From what you've said, it seems that it isn't. If it isn't a parser generator (ie. if it just *contains* a parser, and it isn't a program (like yacc/Bison/Antlr/etc) which actually *creates* a parser) then you can distribute filebench under any licence you want, even though you have used Bison to generate a parser which you have included in filebench, and even though filebench uses the Bison skeleton. This much is obvious; Bison would be unusable in most environments without this exception.

2 - Do you actually *want* to distribute filebench with a *more* restrictive licence that contaminates the rest of your code, and restricts your ability to distribute your code freely? If so, you can. This is what the "Alternatively" section is about. You can completely ignore the "Alternatively" section, unless you have some sort of ideology issue with licences.

I think your confusion is:

It is less clear than I thought.

Let A be a work with a parser generated by bison and assume that A is not a
parser generator. It appears that the exception allows the authors of A to
place A under any license they want to, effectively overriding the
GPL-and-exception. Suppose they choose something like the MIT license. Then

No - you can't over-ride the "GPL-and-exception". You can only over-ride the "-and-exception":

| Alternatively, if you modify or redistribute
| the parser skeleton itself, you may (at your option) remove this
| special exception, which will cause the skeleton and the resulting
| Bison output files to be licensed under the GNU General Public
| License without this special exception.

In other words, you can make the licensing *more* restrictive, by reverting back to GPL, but you can't make it *less* restrictive.

I'm sure you're Ok. But, if you're really concerned, you can always switch to Antlr, which has a free licence, rather than a "Free" licence.

-Evan