Re: Problems building bison-3.0

From: Colin Daley
Subject: Re: Problems building bison-3.0
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:43:46 -0500

On 26/07/2013 09:03, Akim Demaille wrote:
Le 26 juil. 2013 à 14:52, Colin Daley <address@hidden> a écrit :

1) m4
./configure detects m4 as /bin/m4.exe, which is not wrong, in the sense
that this is the MSYS path to m4. However, this ends up in config.h as
#define M4 "/bin/m4.exe". The Windows path, i.e.
`c:/mingw/msys/1.0/bin/m4.exe' is what should be there. Fortunately,
this is easily solved by
M4=c:/mingw/msys/1.0/bin/m4.exe ./configure …
Do you have a suggestion on how this should be addressed in
an elegant way?

A combination of the following steps should work.

a) Detect that configure is running under MSYS:

$ uname -a
MINGW32_NT-6.2 MYPC 1.0.18(0.48/3/2) 2012-11-21 22:34 i686 Msys
                                                           ^^^^
Perhaps there is already something in autotools for this.

b) Detect that the compiler is MinGW. There is an msys-gcc, but
the programs built by it can find `/bin/m4.exe', so there would
be no need to change it, although MSYS also understands
`c:/mingw/msys/1.0/bin/m4.exe', so it probably would not hurt.

The configure script already knows that the build system type
is i686-pc-mingw32. That should be good enough.

c) If you are running under MSYS, the command `pwd -W' gives you
the Windows path corresponding to your current directory, so:
$ echo `cd /bin;pwd -W`
C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/bin

Your current directory does not change.

Still, it would be good if the configure script could do the right thing.

2) Documentation

The directory `figs' is missing, so:

Nope, it is not missing, it is in doc/.  But you are right that
the .txt files are missing :(  I don't know why you have problems
with the pdf files though.  Could you explore this?

I cannot reproduce the problem. When I failed the first time, I copied doc/figs from the git repository and tried again, but it told me that I did not have `dot'. When I saw your message, I deleted doc/figs and extracted it again from the xz
archive. Strangely, it worked this time.

Regards,
Colin Daley.