Building bison fails in clean repository clone

From: Daniel Oertwig
Subject: Building bison fails in clean repository clone
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 22:35:14 +0100

Hi,

building bison from the git master branch fails for me, could anyone check
whether it's an error with my system (configuration) or an error in the
bootstrap/build process?

Steps to reproduce:

git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/bison.git
cd bison
git submodule update --init
./bootstrap
./configure
make

The build then fails here:

  CC       src/bison-scan-gram-c.o
In file included from src/scan-gram-c.c:3:0:
src/scan-gram.c: In function 'gram_lex':
src/scan-gram.l:49:4: error: 'code_start' undeclared (first use in this
function)
    code_start = scanner_cursor = loc->start;            \
    ^
src/scan-gram.c:1402:3: note: in expansion of macro 'YY_USER_INIT'
   YY_USER_INIT;
   ^
src/scan-gram.l:49:4: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only
once for each function it appears in
    code_start = scanner_cursor = loc->start;            \
    ^
src/scan-gram.c:1402:3: note: in expansion of macro 'YY_USER_INIT'
   YY_USER_INIT;

Did I do something wrong? Or is there an error in the bison bootstrap/build
process?

All listed prerequisites are installed and uptodate (Arch linux
repositories). Neither the bootstrap script, nor configure shows any errors
or warnings. bison version 3.0.2 is installed on the system (maybe it
interferes with the bootstrap script in some way?)

After digging in src/scan-gram.c it seems that the definition of code_start
gets placed after the macro YY_USER_INIT is used.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Daniel