Re: Is handwritten faster?

From: John R. Levine
Subject: Re: Is handwritten faster?
Date: 2 Oct 2015 19:46:40 -0400

A more important point is that the time spent in the parser is never
significant.  If your compiler is simple, the bulk of the time is
in the lexer since it has to touch each character in the input.  If
your compiler is sophisticated, it'll spend a its time in analysis and
optimization.

For scripting language implementations, I tend to disagree.

I'm wondering how much of that is the parser and how much is the lexer.

R's,
John