Re: Token value in custom error reporting

From: Adrian Vogelsgesang
Subject: Re: Token value in custom error reporting
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 17:09:25 +0000

Hi Akim,

    > That being said, this is clearly a nice-to-have and by no means necessary.
    > Also, I guess I would run into different issues, first (e.g., when
encountering an error I would like to check "given the current state, would an
identifier be valid". I don't think bison currently offers the API to do so)
    Well, in a way it does: check if it's in the expected tokens.  Agreed,
    it's more costly than it could be, but it's available.

You are right. Bison already supports getting the expected tokens. It seems, I
completely spaced out while typing the original message.

    I'm not opposed to extending the API, but it does frighten me:
    API are really binding us, and make evolutions much more difficult.

I completely agree, and I am not convinced myself that there are enough
compelling use cases to add this new functionality to the API.
I just wanted to share my personal use case. Maybe others have additional use
cases - if not, I guess I my use case alone isn't worth it. It's a nice-to-have
anyway...

Cheers,
Adrian