Re: %merge confusion

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: %merge confusion
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 06:40:32 +0100

Hi Jot,

> Le 25 déc. 2020 à 04:28, Jot Dot <jotdot@shaw.ca> a écrit :
>
> I'm using %glr-parser and ran into a snag with the %merge feature.
>
> I figure I must be misinterpreting something along the way.
> I think I've done what the docs say:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/bison/manual/html_node/Merging-GLR-Parses.html
>
> Everything compiles fine except one bison generated line in the parser code.
>
> Assuming I have something simple like the following:
> %token <some_type> IDENTIFIER
> %type <some_type> subrule expr

Which means that you are probably using "api.value.type variant".  Which does
not work properly with glr.cc.  That's the whole point of glr2.cc, on which
we are actively working currently.

Maybe in your case glr.cc is "almost sufficient".  I can't tell: I'm afraid
that once you get it to compile properly, it will run incorrectly.  I just
don't know.

Depending on your hurry, your options are:

1. don't store object, deal only with pointers
2. wait for glr2.cc to be ready for variants

Depending on what features you are depending upon, glr2.cc might already
be good enough for you.  I can wrap a tarball for you whenever you want.
But I don't foresee a release before at least February.

Cheers!