Parsing '\x00' -- appears to be the only thing preventing parsing binary

From: Stephen Taylor
Subject: Parsing '\x00' -- appears to be the only thing preventing parsing binary data
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:40:23 -0400

I am trying to parse binary files and obviously need to write rules that
include the 8-bit value 0x00 — flex appears to allow me to obtain an 8-bit
scanner using the -8 option. I seem to be able to use ‘\x01’ to ‘\xFF’ for
individual terminal symbols in Bison rules. Unfortunately, ‘\x00’ is used to
denote end of input. Looking at the output tables, there appears to be no real
reason to do this (other than convenience) and I am wondering if anyone has a
workaround?
Thanks !
Steve