Why syslog for root only?

From: Andrews, Martin
Subject: Why syslog for root only?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:10:05 -0500

I have been playing with turning on syslog logging with cfengine. It is a nice feature, but why is it only enable for root? I am running into particular trouble under NT where I have not determined a good way to tell if the current process is "privileged" (cfengine does not currently do it correctly). While I want to come up with a better implementation of IsPrivileged() for NT, I wonder if syslog logging could be enabled for everyone in the meantime.

Martin

---
Martin Andrews
mandrews@netgenics.com